The City of Carthage is located in Panola County, Texas, near the Louisiana border. It is located at the intersection of U.S. Highways 59 and 79.
The city is known as the Gas Capital of the United States, and the home of the famous Texas Country Music Hall of Fame. Panola College is also located here.
Annual events include the East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, the Piney Woods Quilt Festival and the Rodeo Jamboree.
The Carthage Zip Code is 75633, and its Area Code is 903. Its population is about 6,900 residents.
Carthage Area Motels and Accommodations
Carthage has several motels, hotels, and other lodging including those listed below.
In addition, there are other accommodations in Tyler including a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Select, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn & Suites, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and others.
Area Tourism and Attractions
While visiting the Carthage area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in East Texas:
- Jacksonville - to the south of Tyler on U.S. 69
- Love's Lookout - beautiful 30-mile vista to the East
- Athens - Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center
- Canton - home of First Monday Trade Days
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Longview - historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Marshall Pottery, Railroad Museum, more
- Toledo Bend Reservoir - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, hiking, camping, golf, resorts, restaurants
- Bullard - just south of Tyler, home of wineries and the Freedom Museum