Located about 80 miles south of Tyler on U. S. Highway 69 at its intersection with Highway 59 is the City of Lufkin, the county seat of Angelina County. It is about 90 miles northeast of Houston.
The population of Lufkin is about 35,000 residents. Elevation is 312 feet above sea level.
The town was founded in 1882 and named for Abraham P. Lufkin, a cotton merchant and Galveston city councilman.
Lufkin Texas Tourism and Attractions
Downtown Lufkin features numerous unique retail and antique shops, eating establishments, professional businesses, and also includes a historic walking tour describing the history of Lufkin.
The First Street Arts Center promotes East Texas artists whose work ideally captures the Piney Woods experience. Through the Center, area artists, writers, poets, and musicians share their talents with the community in a newly-revitalized downtown Lufkin. And don't miss the mural in Cotton Square Heritage Park.
Also popular with tourists is the Museum of East Texas, the Ellen Trout Zoo, the Texas Forestry Museum, and the Temple Theater in the Angelina Center for the Arts on the Angelina College campus.
Lufkin Motels and Accommodations
Lufkin has several motels, hotels and other accommodations.
In addition, there are other accommodations in nearby Tyler including a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Select, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and others.
Other Things to See Near Lufkin Texas
While visiting the Lufkin area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jacksonville - to the south of Tyler on U.S. 69
- Love's Lookout - beautiful 30-mile vista to the East
- Athens - Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center
- Canton - home of First Monday Trade Days
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas
- Longview - historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Marshall Pottery, Railroad Museum, more
- Lake Tyler - swimming, boating, fishing, skiing close-in to Tyler
- Lake Palestine - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, waterfront restaurants
- Toledo Bend Reservoir - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, hiking, camping, golf, resorts, restaurants
- Bullard - just south of Tyler, home of wineries and the Freedom Museum
- East Texas Gators & Wildlife Park (Grand Saline)
- East Texas Backroads, Highways and Byways
- Drives Around Tyler
- East Texas Tourism Association
Historic postcard of the U. S. Post Office in Lufkin, Texas
Another historic postcard of the U. S. Post Office in Lufkin
Historic postcard of Lufkin Senior High School
Historic postcard of the Dun Wandrin Motel, Lufkin, Texas