Gun Barrel City, Texas
Welcome to Gun Barrel City, Texas
Gun Barrel City is located in Henderson County Texas on the eastern shore of Cedar Creek Reservoir, at the crossroads of Texas Highways 334 and 198, and near U.S. 175.
Gun Barrel City is situated about 60 miles southeast of Dallas, and 21 miles northwest of Athens.
The town name is derived from its motto, "We Shoot Straight With You," and its symbol, a rifle.
The City of Gun Barrel City has been designated a Texas Certified Retirement Community.
The Gun Barrel City Zip Code is 75156, and its Area Codes are 903 and 430. It is home to over 5,600 residents. For more information, visit the official website of Gun Barrel City.
City Hall at Gun Barrel City, Texas
The Gun Barrel City Hall is located at 1716 West Main Street. Phone the city offices at 903.887.1087.
Gun Barrel City Information & Resources
Area Tourism and Attractions
Marina on Cedar Creek Reservoir at Gun Barrel City, Texas
Gun Barrel City offers an exciting lifestyle, for residents and visitors alike. Cedar Creek Lake is at the forefront of many attractions and things to do.
The lake, which is technically named Cedar Creek Reservoir, was completed in 1965 as a water source to Fort Worth and many other local communities in North Texas.
The lake is approximately 18 miles long and just over 2 miles wide. The shoreline stretches 220 miles from point to point, and its maximum depth is 62 feet. The lake also boasts three islands that are managed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as Wildlife Management Areas for aquatic birds. It has a surface area of 32,873 acres.
The lake offers a diverse range of fishing, water sports, boating, birdwatching, and other recreational activities.
Quiet bay at Cedar Creek Lake near Gun Barrel City, Texas
With local parks, a public Skateboard Park, two public boat ramps on the north end of the lake, plus another on the south end, Cedar Creek is a perfect family week-end or day trip destination. Cedar Creek Lake offers diverse lodging, dining, retail, RV sites and water sports.
Purtis Creek State Park in Eustace is a short drive away.
While visiting the Gun Barrel City area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Athens - East Texas Arboretum, Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Cain Center and the Athens Scuba Park
- Palestine - Texas State Railroad, Davey Dogwood Park, Dogwood Trails Festival, Anderson County Courthouse
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Grapeland Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Jacksonville - Tomato Fest, ATV Mud Nationals, Tops in Texas Rodeo
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lake Tyler - swimming, boating, fishing, skiing close-in to Tyler
- Lake Palestine - Boating, fishing, skiing and camping, just south of Tyler
- Bullard - just south of Tyler, home of wineries and the Freedom Museum
- Edom Texas - Art galleries, Festival of the Arts, Artisans Trail, Blue Moon Gardens
- Lindale - Old Mill Pond Museum, Hideaway Lake, Miranda Lambert Store & Red 55 Winery
- Mineola - Mineola Nature Preserve, Bigfoot Paddling Trail
- Lake Fork - At 27,264 acres and 315 miles of shoreline, Lake Fork was designed to be a premier bass fishing lake and currently holds records for 34 out of the Top 50 largemouth bass caught in Texas.
Gun Barrel City Hotels and Motels
Map of Gun Barrel City and Cedar Creek Reservoir
Map Showing Location of Gun Barrel City in East Texas
Firepit and boat dock at Cedar Creek Lake
Stunning sunset at Cedar Creek Lake in Texas