Located about 80 miles south of Tyler on U. S. Highway 69 at its intersection with Highway 59 is the City of Lufkin, the county seat of Angelina County. It is about 90 miles northeast of Houston, and north of Diboll.
Welcome to Lufkin, Texas
The population of Lufkin is about 34,000 residents. Elevation is 312 feet above sea level.
The town was founded in 1882 and named for Abraham P. Lufkin, a cotton merchant and Galveston city councilman.
Lufkin Texas Tourism and Attractions
Downtown Lufkin features numerous unique retail and antique shops, eating establishments, professional businesses, and also includes a historic walking tour describing the history of Lufkin.
The First Street Arts Center promotes East Texas artists whose work ideally captures the Piney Woods experience. Through the Center, area artists, writers, poets, and musicians share their talents with the community in a newly-revitalized downtown Lufkin. And don't miss the mural in Cotton Square Heritage Park.
Also popular with tourists is the Museum of East Texas, the Ellen Trout Zoo, the Texas Forestry Museum, and the Temple Theater in the Angelina Center for the Arts on the Angelina College campus.
Ellen Trout Zoo in Lufkin
The Ellen Trout Zoo is owned and operated by the City of Lufkin which is responsible for its daily operation.
The Zoo is accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) and houses over 800 mammals, birds and reptiles from around the world.
Located at 402 Zoo Circle, Lufkin, Texas 75904. Phone 936.633.0399
Lufkin Motels and Accommodations
Lufkin has several motels, hotels and other accommodations.
Other Things to See Near Lufkin Texas
While visiting the Lufkin area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Athens - East Texas Arboretum, Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Cain Center and the Athens Scuba Park
- Palestine - Texas State Railroad, Davey Dogwood Park, Dogwood Trails Festival, Anderson County Courthouse
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Grapeland Drive Thru Safari
- Jacksonville - Tomato Fest, Tops in Texas Rodeo
- Love's Lookout - beautiful 30-mile vista to the East
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lake Tyler - swimming, boating, fishing, skiing close-in to Tyler
- Lake Palestine - Boating, fishing, skiing and camping, just south of Tyler
- Bullard - just south of Tyler, home of wineries and the Freedom Museum
Map of Deep East Texas Showing Location of Lufkin
Interactive Map of Lufkin Texas (courtesy of Google)
Vintage Images of Lufkin
Historic postcard of the U. S. Post Office in Lufkin, Texas
Another historic postcard of the U. S. Post Office in Lufkin
Historic postcard of Lufkin Senior High School
Historic postcard of the Dun Wandrin Motel, Lufkin, Texas