The City of Atlanta is located in the Piney Woods of Northeast Texas in Cass County on US Highway 59, and was established in 1871.
It is situated along the Wildflower Trail, and near the borders of Louisiana and Arkansas. It is 25 miles southwest of Texarkana.
In the heart of town, green space and public parks abound, including a downtown plaza on main street, pocket parks, and a veterans' memorial.
The Atlanta Chamber of Commerce is active in the community, and is located at 101 N. East Street. Phone 903.796.3296.
Atlanta Website Resources
|In 2020, Atlanta had a population of 5,433 residents|
Interactive Map of Atlanta Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map Showing Location of Atlanta in Upper East Texas
Atlanta Historical Museum
The mission of the Atlanta Historical Museum is to institute and encourage historical inquiry, to collect, preserve and exhibit material of history and to spread historical information, especially as it pertains to the City of Atlanta.
The permanent exhibits include a diorama depicting the Texas and Pacific Railway as it would have appeared between 1890 and 1910. It also features an array of local items depicting the development of commerce in Atlanta between 1850 and 1950. Be sure to check out the railroad and depot equipment, cotton processing from field to gin, military stories and artifacts, a wagon and plane for students to explore. Exhibits also include Bessie Coleman photos and artifacts with interpretations of the Caddo culture.
The Museum is located at 101 N. East Street in Atlanta in the former railroad depot. Phone 903.796.1892 for more information.
The building also houses the Atlanta Area Chamber of Commerce.
Atlanta Public Library
The Atlanta Public Library is located at 101 W. Hiram Street in Atlanta. It provides free services to all residents living within the state of Texas with services available to other states for a fee.
The library holds over 30,000 materials including over 21,600 books, and 1,100 audiobooks. Over 2,400 movies are also available for check-out.
In addition to these items, thousands of people entered the library to utilize print and electronic reference resources, access the Internet through the Library’s Internet connection, enjoy state-of-the-art Wi-fi service, participate in computer and Internet training, or attend one of the Library’s many events.
Phone 903.796.2112 or visit the Atlanta Texas Public Library website
Other Scenes Around Atlanta
Scene in downtown Atlanta, Texas
Atlanta State Park
At Atlanta State Park, visitors can fish, boat, water-ski and swim at a designated area (no lifeguard on duty). Ashore, you may walk, study nature, bird, camp, picnic, geocache, and jog or hike along roads, trails and shorelines.
Explore hilly park roads on your bicycle. Fishermen enjoy this 33,750-surface-acre reservoir (and its 75-pound catfish). The park has two boat ramps and a fish cleaning station. To find out more about fishing here, visit the Wright Patman Lake page.
The park offers 4.8 miles of hiking trails, including an .8-mile nature trail. Campers can reserve one of 58 campsites. All sites have water and electricity; 14 of them have sewer hook-ups, too. The picnic pavilion and an amphitheater can be reserved for group events.
It is located at 927 Park Road 42. Phone 903.796.6476
Wright Patman Lake
Wright Patman lake is on the Sulphur River in Bowie and Cass counties, 10 miles southwest of Texarkana. Its surface area covers 18,994 acres, and features a maximum depth of 40 feet. It was impounded in 1956.
White bass are very popular at Wright Patman, with high numbers of quality-size fish available for harvest. Crappie are also popular at Wright Patman, with large numbers of legal-size fish available. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers maintains nine parks around Wright Patman Lake. These parks provide lake access for boating, swimming, and fishing; as well as camping, picnicking, hiking, equestrian trails, and other outdoor activities. Atlanta State Park is also located on the south shore of the lake.
O'Farrell Country Vineyards
O'Farrell Country Vineyards has grown to include more than 60 rows and more than 460 plants.
All 14 varieties are muscadines, cultivars developed over more than 100 years from this grape species native to North America.
The winery and tasting room is located 7152 FM 995, Atlanta, TX 75551. Phone 903.846.2054
Daingerfield State Park
Daingerfield State Park, in Morris County southwest of Texarkana, is a 506 acre recreational area, and includes the 80 acre Lake Daingerfield.
Other East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Atlanta area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Legacy Trails, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lake Tyler - swimming, boating, fishing, skiing close-in to Tyler
- Lake Palestine - Boating, fishing, skiing and camping, just south of Tyler
- Lindale - Old Mill Pond Museum, Hideaway Lake, Miranda Lambert Store & Red 55 Winery
- Mineola - Mineola Nature Preserve, Bigfoot Paddling Trail
- Lake Fork - At 27,264 acres and 315 miles of shoreline, Lake Fork was designed to be a premier bass fishing lake and currently holds records for 34 out of the Top 50 largemouth bass caught in Texas.
Travel Information for the Atlanta Area