The City of Gilmer is located in Upshur County, Texas, northeast of Tyler, south of Mt. Pleasant. It is named after former United States Secretary of the Navy, Thomas Walker Gilmer, and sits at an elevation of 367 in the Piney Woods section of Texas.
It is located on U.S. Highway 271, and also Texas highways 154 and 155.
Gilmer is known for being the home of the East Texas Yamboree, a four-day event held annually during the third weekend of October. It celebrates the popular crop grown in the area, the sweet potato, or the "yam".
Located downtown at 119 Simpson Street in a former U.S. Post Office is the Historic Upshur Museum. Construction on the building began in June of 1925 and was completed early in 1926; it served as the Gilmer post office until 1991. In 1992 local groups purchased the structure for a museum.
Civic Center in Gilmer, Texas
Today, the museum continues its growth, and houses static and changing exhibits, photographs, displays and artifacts of Upshur County. It also features samples from Gilmer Pottery and Byrd Pottery, and native American artifacts.
The museum is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Admission is free, but donations are always welcome..
The city is also the birthplace of popular music singer Don Henley of the Eagles band, Johnny Mathis, and blues musician Freddie King.
Four miles west of Gilmer is Lake Gilmer.
The Gilmer Zip Codes are 75644-75645, and its Area Code is 903. Its population is about 4,800 residents.
Gilmer Area Motels and AccommodationsGilmer has several motels, hotels, and other lodging including those listed below.
In addition, there are other accommodations in Tyler including a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Select, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn & Suites, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and others.
Rowdy Creek Ranch
Rowdy Creek Ranch is a winery, and a weekend or retreat getaway in the heart of East Texas!
It offers wine tasting, weekend retreats, glamping in vintage trailers, a stocked fish pond, and more, nestled on 350 beautiful acres of woods and fields.
The facility is located at 4048 State Highway 300, Gilmer, Texas. Phone 903.734.0144
Area Tourism and AttractionsWhile visiting the Gilmer area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in East Texas:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Athens - East Texas Arboretum, Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Cain Center and the Athens Scuba Park
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lake Tyler - swimming, boating, fishing, skiing close-in to Tyler
- Lake Palestine - Boating, fishing, skiing and camping, just south of Tyler
- Lindale - Old Mill Pond Museum, Hideaway Lake, Miranda Lambert Store & Red 55 Winery
- Mineola - Mineola Nature Preserve, Bigfoot Paddling Trail
- Lake Fork - At 27,264 acres and 315 miles of shoreline, Lake Fork was designed to be a premier bass fishing lake and currently holds records for 34 out of the Top 50 largemouth bass caught in Texas.