Mount Pleasant Texas
Located about 80 miles northeast of Tyler on U.S. Highway 271 at its intersection with U.S. Highway 67 and Interstate I-30 is the City of Mt. Pleasant, the county seat of Titus County.
Welcome to Mount Pleasant ... A Texas Main Street City
The population of Mt. Pleasant is about 16,000 residents as of the 2020 Federal Census. Elevation is 404 feet above sea level.
The City of Mount Pleasant was selected by the Texas Historical Commission to become an official Texas Main Street City in 1993 and has been a Nationally Recognized program since 2010.
Mount Pleasant has grown and prospered over the past 100 years. Its location along primary transportation routes such as I-30 and the new State Highway 271 Loop, as well as a strong independent attitude of the population has furthered that growth. Today, 32,000 people call Mount Pleasant & Titus County home. They work in what is the hub of a five county region. In addition to being a regional employment center, Mount Pleasant also offers quality retail shopping with a 2018 retail trade area of 106,000 persons.
The Mount Pleasant Main Street District is a 42- block area located in the central business district of downtown Mount Pleasant.
Nearby is the popular Lake Bob Sandlin.
Brief History of Mount Pleasant
Members of the Caddo Indian Tribe remained in the area as the first pioneers from the United States began to settle Northeast Texas during the 1830s. The Caddos were known as builders of large burial mounds.
Legend has it that they spoke of a "Pleasant Mound" in the central part of present-day Titus County. It is believed that the early Anglo settlers changed the name to "Pleasant Mount", and later the name evolved to "Mount Pleasant".
Mount Pleasant Information & Resources
- City of Mount Pleasant
- Visit Mount Pleasant
- Mount Pleasant/Titus County Chamber of Commerce
- Mount Pleasant Economic Development Corporation
- Titus County
- Mount Pleasant Independent School District (ISD)
- North Texas Community College
- Lake Bob Sandlin
Area Attractions in and near Mt. Pleasant Texas
Downtown Mount Pleasant is home to a variety of locally-owned restaurants, boutiques, salons, and specialty stores. The Alley on Third is an award-winning outdoor music venue that features local musicians during select months.
Other popular area attractions include ...
Mid America Flight Museum
The Museum was started in 2013 by Mount Pleasant resident and businessman Scott Glover. Today, the museum is a stunning collection of aircraft from a 1925 Waco Nine to the 1951 Grumman Albatross. And everything at the museum flies or is being restored to fly.
Located at 602 Mike Hall Parkway.
This museum differentiates itself from many other museums in that the great majority of the airplanes in the museum fly on a regular basis, and that additional aircraft are being restored to fly.
Sweet Shop USA
This one-of-a-kind candy factory spans 80,000 square feet, making it the largest handmade chocolate manufacturer in the country. For the past 40 years, this family-owned Mount Pleasant candy factory has been dedicated to perfecting the art of all-natural, handmade American chocolates.
Sweet Shop USA has been nationally-recognized for creating more than 100 types of chocolates including Famous Brags and their staple Fudge Love. Located at 1316 Industrial Road.
Larry Lawrence Antique Car Collection
Larry Lawrence Enterprises resembles an art deco filling station with vintage signs, gas pumps, and lighting. Displayed outside are cars for sale ranging from restored to project cars.
Specializing in 1940 to 1970 Cadillacs, Larry Lawrence sells antique cars and parts, vintage gas pumps, vintage signs and collectibles, and more. Located at 484 I-30 East. Phone 903.563.0135.
- Whatley Center for the Performing Arts - 2886 FM 1735 in Mount Pleasant. The Whatley is located at Northeast Texas Community College and includes both a beautiful theatre and an art gallery. The Whatley Center presents a professional performing arts series, college theatre productions and changing art shows during the season September through May.
- Mount Pleasant Public Library - 601 North Madison, across from City Hall
The Historical Museum at the Mount Pleasant Public Library opened in January of 2013 and features displays and artifacts that illustrate the rich history of the city and county, as well as interactive elements that highlight pivotal moments in the area's past. Highlights include the Caddo grass hut and Titus County contributions to the Civil War.
- Mount Pleasant Parks & Recreation - The City of Mount Pleasant parks system is one of the best in Northeast Texas. The available sports and recreational facilities provide the entire area with opportunities to be involved both as a spectator and participant.
From annual sanctioned drag boat racing event to youth baseball and softball activities, large numbers of area residents are entertained yearly. All of the sports facilities are available for reservation. One need not be a resident of Mount Pleasant or Titus County to use the parks facilities.
- Boots & Bells - more than 1 million Christmas lights adorning the Titus County Courthouse Square, Caldwell Park and City buildings and businesses along the horse-drawn carriage ride route.
- Mount Pleasant Regional Airport - Popular airport for corporate and private aviation pilots, with a 6,000 foot runway
- Mount Pleasant Civic Center - 1800 North Jefferson
- Willow Oak Art Center & Gallery - 5059 Farm Road 1402, Mount Pleasant
- Legends & Lawless Museum - 2745 Old Paris Road in Mount Pleasant
- Pleasant Jamboree - 122 West Third Street
- The Greer Farm - 1444 CR 1125 near Daingerfield, Texas
More Scenes Around Mount Pleasant
Mt. Pleasant Texas Hotels and Accommodations
Several motels and RV parks are located nearby, like the Cajun Cowboy Motel & RV Park just east of Mount Pleasant in Omaha, Texas ... phone the Cajun Cowboy at 903.884.2622. The facility has 26 motel rooms which include Jacuzzi Suites and Doubles, and is adjacent to the 37 spot RV Park equipped with 30 and 50 amp service, showers, free WiFi, and laundry facility.
For RVers, the Mount Pleasant KOA is located at 2322 Greenhill Road in Mount Pleasant. Phone 903.572.5005
Dining in Mount Pleasant
Lake Bob Sandlin
Lake Bob Sandlin is located on Big Cypress Creek 5 miles southwest of Mount Pleasant in Titus, Camp, and Franklin counties. It has a surface area of 9,004 acres, and a maximum depth of 65.6 feet. It was impounded in 1977.
|Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
Traveler reviews and photos at TripAdvisor
Read more about Lake Bob Sandlin
Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
Lake Bob Sandlin State Park is a 639.8-acre park located on the heavily wooded shoreline on the north side of Lake Bob Sandlin.
This lakeside park offers fun on water and land. Swim, fish, paddle and boat on the 9,000-acre lake. Or picnic, hike, camp, geocache, mountain bike and nature watch under the trees. Visit in autumn to see spectacular fall foliage.
Fish in the lake from shore, pier or boat. Or try your luck at the stocked Trout Pond or Brim Pond. Anglers here catch largemouth bass, catfish and crappie.
Events in Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant is busy year-round! It features several activities through the year including ...
- Everything Texas Ranch Run
- Cinco de Mayo on the Square
- Christmas in Mount Pleasant
- Uncorked Wine and Food Festival
- Deck the Halls Holiday Bazaar
- Quake on Town Lake
- and many other activities
Map of Mount Pleasant Texas (courtesy of Google Maps)
Map of Upper East Texas showing the location of Mount Pleasant
Day Trips Around Mount Pleasant
While visiting the Mount Pleasant and the Titus County area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Mount Vernon - Fire Station Museum, bankhead Highway Visitors Center, Dupree Park Nature Center, Old Depot Museum, Cultural Arts Center
- Sulphur Springs - Celebration Plaza & Market, North East Texas Symphony, Southwest Dairy Museum & Learning Center
- Texarkana - Four States Auto Museum, Historic Perot Theater, Regional Arts Center, Discovery Place Museum, Millwood Lake
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House