Mount Vernon, Texas
The City of Mount Vernon is located in Franklin County Texas on Interstate Highway I-30. State Highway 37 traverses the city north to south, and U.S. Highway 67 passes through the city east to west.
The city is situated 80 miles west of Texarkana, and 104 miles east of Dallas. Its population is about 2,500 residents as of the 2020 Federal Census.
Mount Vernon is a National Main Street City, a Certified Retirement Community and a Keep Texas Beautiful City.
The Mount Vernon Zip Code is 75457, and its Area Code is 903. For more information, visit the official website of the City of Mount Vernon.
The Mount Vernon City Hall is located at 109 North Kaufman Street, with a mailing address of Post Office Box 597, 75457; phone the City Hall at 903.537.2252.
View in downtown Mount Vernon at night (photo courtesy of the Main Street Alliance)
Mount Vernon Information & Resources
- City of Mount Vernon
- Franklin County Chamber of Commerce
- Mount Vernon Tourism
- Mount Vernon Main Street Alliance
- Mount Vernon Economic Development Corporation
- Franklin County Historical Association
- Franklin County Library
- Mount Vernon Farmers Market
- Alamo Mission Museum
- Mount Vernon Independent School District
- Franklin County
Area Tourism and Attractions
Mount Vernon has all the ingredients for the perfect getaway – hotels, relaxing B&Bs, historic homes, antique shops, festivals, museums and more, just a stroll away from a historic, alive downtown. It also features an active arts community, and birding and nature tourism.
The Old Depot Museum
The Old Depot Museum is a restored 1894 Cotton Belt Depot featuring railroading exhibits, working telegraphy and model train layouts. It is available for meetings, seminars and group gatherings.
The museum is located one block south of downtown Mount Vernon on Kaufman Street.
Fire Station Museum
The Old Fire Station Museum is housed in a 1940 WPA-financed firestation and is home to permanent as well as changing exhibits. One of the popular areas of the Museum is the Don Meredith Memorabilia Exhibit, donated by Mount Vernon native and former Dallas Cowboy Quarterback Don Meredith.
Memorabilia includes Monday Night Football Sports Jacket; Ring of Honor, extensive career and family photographs, and Cowboy Football Jersey.
The Museum is located on South Kaufman Street in Mount Vernon.
Bankhead Highway Visitors Center
The Center is located in the home of Col. Henry Clay Thruston, the tallest soldier in the Civil War. It is situated on the historic Bankhead Highway, an early transcontinental route from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, about 0.2 miles west of Mount Vernon on Highway 37.
Adjacent is the Dupree Park and Nature Preserve, 57 acre nature preserve with walking trails and pavilion.
Other Attractions and Points of Interest
- West End Nature Preserve - 455 acres with trails
The historic Franklin County Court House in Mount Vernon, Texas
- Cultural Arts Center - located one block south of downtown, used for pottery shows, juried art shows, artist conferences, workshops, music presentations and shows
- Old Jail Art Museum - housed in 1912 jail and features changing art exhibitions and permanent collections
- Historic Franklin County Courthouse - classic revival white limestone structure built in 1912
- Franklin County Genealogy Society in the historic 1894 Parchman-Meredith Store building
- Mount Verson Music - housed in historic, restored church, it hosts concerts and other live performances
- Little Creek Park - tennis courts, basketball courts, 2 playground areas, baseball field, a covered pavilion and a walking trail. Located at 305 N. Kaufman Street.
More Scenes Around Mount Vernon
Events in Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon is busy year-round! It features several activities through the year including ...
- Farmers Market
- Mount Vernon Food and Wine Festival
- Tour de Cypress Bike Tour
- Harvest on Main
- Easter in the Park
- International Food Festival
- Main Street Christmas
- Second Saturdays
- and many other activities
Map of Mount Vernon Texas (courtesy of Google Maps)
Map Showing Location of Mount Vernon in East Texas
Lake Bob Sandlin
Lake Bob Sandlin is located on Big Cypress Creek southeast of Mount Vernon in Titus, Camp, and Franklin counties. It has a surface area of 9,004 acres, and a maximum depth of 65.6 feet. It was impounded in 1977.
||Lake Bob Sandlin State Park
Traveler reviews and photos at TripAdvisor
Read more about Lake Bob Sandlin
Area Day Trips from Mount Vernon
While visiting the Mount Vernon area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Mount Pleasant - Larry Lawrence Antique Car Collection, Lake Bob Sandlin, Greer Farm & Ranch, Sleep Hollow Daffodils, Whatley Center for the Performing Arts
- Sulphur Springs - Celebration Plaza & Market, North East Texas Symphony, Southwest Dairy Museum & Learning Center
- Texarkana - Four States Auto Museum, Historic Perot Theater, Regional Arts Center, Discovery Place Museum, Millwood Lake
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardensk
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lake Palestine - Boating, fishing, skiing and camping, just south of Tyler