The town grew up around Warren Hooks' plantation in the late 1830s. Rail service began in 1876. Shortly before the U.S. entered World War II, two large military installations, the Red River Army Depot and the Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant, were constructed just south of the town, spurring growth dramatically. The City of Hooks was incorporated in 1942.
|Population||2,518 residents in the 2020 Federal Census|
Interactive Map of Hooks Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map of Upper East Texas Showing the Location of Bowie County
Wright Patman Lake
Wright Patman lake is on the Sulphur River in Bowie and Cass counties, south of Hooks. Its surface area covers 18,994 acres, and features a maximum depth of 40 feet. It was impounded in 1956.
White bass are very popular at Wright Patman, with high numbers of quality-size fish available for harvest. Crappie are also popular at Wright Patman, with large numbers of legal-size fish available. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers maintains nine parks around Wright Patman Lake.
These parks provide lake access for boating, swimming, and fishing; as well as camping, picnicking, hiking, equestrian trails, and other outdoor activities. Atlanta State Park is also located on the south shore of the lake.
More East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Hooks area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square